Chapter Five (Spiritual Ailments )
Treatment of Magic
1) We should be certain that the effect of magic is related to Allah’s permission regarding man’s fate and destiny. Allah says in His Book: ”But they could not thus harm anyone except by Allah’s permission”. Surah Al-Baqara (The Cow) verse 102.
2) The aim of dealing with this subject and its symptoms is not to make people start comparing such symptoms with his own, and can thus become a victim of illusions and obsessions. The patient needs to see a specialized physician first and then reads the approved incantation. It is all right to see someone whose knowledge and religion can be trusted so that he can read incantation for treatment. This well-experienced therapist can identify the main causes of the ailment.
3) In most cases, there are common symptoms between magic and the other ailments that afflict man like epilepsy, envy, evil eye etc. Thus the case needs to be thoroughly examined before diagnosis to prescribe the proper medication for the cure, Allah Willing.
4) The therapist has to make sure that the patient is medically sound for the symptoms of some physiological ailments are quite similar to those of the spiritual ailments such as epilepsy, magic, envy, evil eye etc. Magicians often attempts to know the causes and effects of these ailments and find similar causes so that the victim thinks that he is suffering from physiological or spiritual ailments. For example, magic can lead to the death of a man’s sperms who might think that he is suffering from the physiological ailment of sterility. This is among other cases where magicians give false impressions to people that they suffer from certain diseases. The therapist’s concern with medical soundness does not necessarily mean not using incantation in curing the physiological and the spiritual ailments. The main objective is to avoid confusion in the treatment process and making people believe that they suffer from psychological afflictions such as epilepsy, magic, evil eye, whereas they actually have physiological and psychological ailments.
5) Symptoms should be carefully examined to know their real causes for all the symptoms could be the result of conflicts and differences or social reasons which led to this condition. Thus, one needs not to be hasty in judging the different cases and re-examine the causes that might lead to epilepsy, magic, or evil eye afflictions.
Following is a review of the legitimate means to stop the effect of magic, Allah Willing:
1) Incantation and amulets: These are the most important things used to remove the effect of magic after it occurs. Some Suras and verses were proven effective in incantation in general, and specifically in driving away the harm of evil spirits, Allah Willing.
2) Praying most of the night: This is one of the most effective and successful means to remove magic effect. Praying and supplicating to Allah, especially in the late part of the night, removes pain and suffering as the prophetic sayings indicate.
Patients are advised to pray at night and read Surah Al-Baqarah (The Cow) in two units or more, which is proven to have a profound effect in treating and stopping magic. Abi Imamah (May Allah be Pleased with Him) said” I heard Allah’s Messenger (PGBUH) say” Read Surah Al-Baqarah for reciting it is a blessing, leaving it is a remorse, and the magicians fear it”.
This act does not discord with the basic laws and regulations of incantation for the following reasons:
1) Praying at night is supererogatory worship with which the worshipper seeks the approval of Allah who descends in the third part of the night in the manner explained in the ancient tradition of the predecessors.
2) Resorting to Allah when afflicted with psychological ailments especially epilepsy, magic, evil eye, is that of a needy worshipper who supplicates to his Creator, listening to his prayers.
3) Reading Surah Al-Baqarah in the last part of the night has a great effect on treating the spiritual ailments, according to the saying of Abi Imamah.
4) What is previously mentioned does not abide the magic afflicted person to follow this manner but rather to choose the time suggested which is proven in many prophetic sayings. One should also recite the great Surah of Al- Baqarah, which the prophet himself used to recite in prayer during the last part of the night. Al- Nawawi commented on the saying of Omar (May Allah be Pleased with Him) who said that he heard the prophet say” Perform prayers at your homes and do not make them like tombs”. The prophet (PGBUH) encouraged supererogatory works at home because it does not entail dissemblance or hypocrisy and it bestows blessings on the house on which mercy and angels descend and devils flee away.
Al- Shebli said: ”Ablution and prayer are the best protection against the jinn and their evil doings”.
His Honor, Sheikhh Abdullah bin Abdulrahman Al-Jibreen said: ” It is all right to pray before sleeping for it is among the evidence related to night prayer, and it is also used as a cure and treatment”. Allah says ”seek help with patient Perseverance and Prayer..”. The prophet himself used to resort to prayer whenever something bad happens to him (narrated by Ahmed and others).
Ibn Al-Qayem (May Allah have Mercy on him) said in his book Zad Al- Maad that prayer brings welfare to one, protects his health, prevents harm, strengthens the heart, brings happiness to the soul, drives away laziness, activates the senses, relieves the heart, feeds the soul, lightens the heart, protects benefaction, stops displeasure, drives away devils, brings one closer to Allah, ect. (Al-Sawaiq Al-Morsalah fi Al-Tasadi li Al-Mushaawazin wa Al-Saharah).
3) Knowing the place of magic and taking it out: This is the best and most successful means to stop the effect of magic. Aisha (May Allah be pleased with her) related that Allah’s Messenger (PGBUH) said:” O Aisha! Do you know that Allah has instructed me concerning the matter I have asked him about? Two men came to me and one of them sat near my head and the other near my feet. One of them said to his companion, ‘What is the disease of this man?’ The other replied, ‘He is under the effect of magic.’ The first one asked ‘Who has worked the magic on him?’ The other replied, ‘Labib bin Al-Asam. The first one asked,’ What material did he use?’ The other replied, ‘A comb and the hairs stuck to it and the skin of pollen of a male date palm’. The first one asked, ‘Where is that?’ The other replied, ‘(That is) in the well of Dharwan’. So Allah’s Messenger along with some of his companions went there and came back saying, ” O Aisha, the color of its water is like the infusion of Henna leaves. The tops of the date palm trees near it are like the heads of the devils”. Similar Hadith has been narrated by Aisha (May Allah be Pleased with her) with different versions.
Ibn Al-Qayem said that finding magic and stopping its effect is the best cure as indicated by the Prophet (PGBUH) who asked Allah about it and He guided him as to where to find it. It was in the well in a comb and the hairs stuck to it and the skin of pollen of male date palm. When the prophet (PGBUH) got it out of the well, he was as if being cured from a serious illness.
Thus, this method is the best cure for magic affliction which is similar to removing the evil substance from the body. Sheikhh Abdulaziz bin Abdullah bin Baz (May Allah have Mercy on Him) said that the best cure of magic is exerting effort in finding its place whether in land or mountain. When locating it, the magic should be taken out and destroyed to stop its effect (Fatwa of His Honor Sheikhh Adbulaziz bin Adbullah bin Baz).